This is an old family favourite and it only takes 5 minutes to make and 5 minutes to set. No baking – how easy does that make it. It’s a great last minute slice to make for the kids and I vary it a lot by adding different flavours and treats. The slice in the picture has dried figs added to it.
- 125g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups Rice Bubbles
- 3 tablespoons of honey.
- Prepare a medium slice tin with baking paper.
- Put the rice bubbles in a bowl.
- In a saucepan – melt the butter, honey and sugar together.
- Bring the mixture up to the boil without stirring it. Cook for approximately two minutes until the colour changes and the mixture starts to get tacky like toffee.
- Tip the hot mixture into the rice bubbles and mix immediately until the liquid coats the rice bubbles completely. Be quick as it will start setting quickly.
- Tip into the prepared slice tray.
- Using a large dry spoon – flatten out the mixture and press down into the tin until level.
- Leave to cool. Cut into slices.
- Store at room temperature. The slice will last about two weeks.
There is enough liquid in this mixture to add extra ingredients. I often add a 1 cup of chopped dried fruit ie: apricots, figs, sultanas or try a mixture of roasted nuts, pumpkin seeds or coconut. A favourite for the kids is M & M’s or chocolate buttons. If you are adding other treats to the slice – mix them in well with the rice bubbles first to that it is well mixed before you add the liquid – with the exception of chocolate – just leave that to sprinkle over the top.